Tuesday, July 26, 2011

'I am my own Idol'


It was love at first sight for 15-year-old Manu Gandas. Ever since he visited a golf course for the first time, his love affair with the game has been getting stronger.

He believes in himself. He takes inspiration from himself. He idolises himself.

Meet Manu Gandas, a 15-year golfer, who is the talk of the golf street in Delhi. He is the new golf protégé. Having excelled in big tournaments like Bridgestone in Florida, he is on a roll.

Manu takes inspiration from himself and his father, who is also a good golfer. “It was eight years ago when I went to DLF Golf Country Club in Gurgaon with my father. That motivated to take up the sport. After that, I regularly started visiting that Club and practising golf. Since then golf has been the centre of my interests,” he says.

When asked whether golf was just a hobby for him, Manu says, “I will take golf as career. I am very passionate about it and want to play this game at a higher level, at bigger tournaments.”

He has played in the Albatross international tournament and under-15 Asia pacific golf tournament. Recently, he returned home from the USA after finishing second in the Bridgestone Golf tournament in Florida, where everyone tipped him to be a shining star for the future.

About his playing experience in the USA and the difference between Indian golfers and the others, Manu says, “Basically there is no difference as such. But they are mentally tougher. I also have to work on that aspect, as mental preparedness gives an edge while playing.”

Manu, who also likes swimming and playing table-tennis, might be raw at his skills when it comes to golf, but his belief in day-to-day improvement stands him in good stead for coming years.

In a country where cricket is most followed and almost every kid dreams of becoming a Tendulkar or a Dhoni, taking a liking to golf and opting for it as a career sounds a bit rare.

“I am passionate about golf,” Manu clarifies. “I firmly believe in myself and I also believe that someday golf will be as much followed as cricket. The stature of the golfers will be equal to that of cricketers at the moment. Golf will be like cricket,” he says with confidence in his voice.

Manu, however, will not let the sport affect his studies. “I think studies are important. Right now, I am in class XI at the KVS Gurgaon. I will continue studies along with golf in the future. I practice regularly for two hours. My school also helps me with scheduling. My teachers are brilliant. They have supported me very well, especially when I get busy with golf. My father, my family has always been there, supporting me throughout so far,” Manu, who plays for AGT, says.

Quiz him about fans and the feeling of being recognised at such a young age, he says, “It feels good. It inspires me to do well in the future.”

He is also clear on where he sees himself in future. “Firstly, I want to be a good person in life. I have not set any particular standards. I would like to win major golf tournaments like the British Open,” he says.

The upcoming tournaments, where he is hoping to do well in are Optimist International in Florida and then the US Kids World tournament, also to be held in Florida.

He is also aiming to hone his skills in these events. “Techniques and skills will keep improving as I play more and more games. In sports, there is always scope for improvement. But more crucially, I have to be mentally tough. It is a huge factor in performance.”

Someone he aims to be like then? “I don’t have any idol. I idolise myself. Although I learn from everyone, but I believe in doing things my way. Hence, I am my own idol,” he says.

No comments:

Post a Comment